Chantilly High School
Varsity Cross Country
PRE-SEASON INFO & FORMS
Welcome to the 2014 Chantilly Charger Cross Country Team. I am happy to have you, and applaud your decision to join, complete with the enthusiasm and commitment towards individual improvement, and towards team contributions. This is a sport which tests the body and mind, and which combines such individual efforts into a solid team and communal goal.
There is a lot to absorb at the beginning of the season, and a lot of information that you need to digest. I must stress that this applies equally to the returning veterans as it does to the rising freshman or CHS newcomer. It is my expectation that you read everything carefully, and that you ask questions promptly, when something is unclear. It is important that everyone is on the same page from the get go... this is how strong teams are built.
- Sign-up Information (in June)
- Pre-Season Forms/Links
- Camp Info
- For Your Perusal & Enlightenment
- Information on eTraXC
- Pre-Season Team Meeting Materials (August 4th)
Administratively, there are a few steps you need to undertake ASAP.
|Due Thursday, June 19th||Due on August 2nd|
- Cross Country Athlete Info Survey (Online)
-Cross Country Parent Info Survey (Online)
- Emergency Care Card
- Spirit Pack Form (Purchase Online- Submit Confirmation Form)
- Camp Forms (Permission Slip & Luggage Search Forms)
- Athlete Concussion Ed (online)
- Parent Concussion Ed (online)
- VHSL Physical Form (dated after May 1st, 2014)
- Team Bible (distributed on August 2nd)
- FCPS Extra Curricular Policy (distributed on August 2nd)
- Drivers Forms (Juniors & Seniors only, if applicable)
(All Forms/Links can be found on File or Links Page or at: http://www.chargercctrack.com/CrossCountry/Info.html)
- Provide me with your personal data for my database. In an effort to conserve paper this year, this will be done electronically: Cross Country Athlete Info. Fill this out completely. It will provide me with all of the personal info I will need to enter you in our database, register in eTraXc.com, and put you on our roster.
- On the same page, please have your parent fill out the link labeled: Cross Country Parent Info. This will give me emergency contact info, and an email address which will allow us to keep you informed regularly. PLEASE LET YOUR PARENTS COMPLETE THIS, TO ENSURE EMAIL ACCURACY!
- Make plans to get a VHSL Physical TODAY!!!!! Do NOT wait until August to get one, as you will not be allowed to practice, starting August 4th, without one. You must use the proper form, which can be found on our team page (again at: http://www.chargercctrack.com/CrossCountry/Info.html). Simply download it and print. Please note that I have no flexibility on this; make sure that ALL signatures are completed, and that insurance information is given. If you do not have insurance, see me ASAP. There is inexpensive student insurance available through the county, but it needs to be done in advance. If you require student insurance, please go to: http://www.fcps.edu/supt/activities/atp/acc_insurance.shtml.
- I am requesting all forms listed above (except your physical) to be submitted to me at Chantilly HS NO LATER THAN THURSDAY, JUNE 19th They can all be downloaded from our team website, listed below.
- Please give consideration to attending Blue Ridge Running Camp in late July. While this is more heavily stressed towards the veteran runner, it can also be beneficial to the novice, as well. The only thing I will stress, though, is that you go in shape. There are other camps out there; this is the one I am personally familiar with, and personally endorse. It is not imperative, as our team camp is, but still recommended. Varsity level runners are STRONGLY encouraged to attend.
- Purchase a GOOD pair of RUNNING shoes. These should be a pair of shoes that are just for training, and not for everyday wear. These should not be basketball shoes, tennis shoes, or cross trainers. I recommend going to a running specialty store, such as VA Runner, Pacers, Footsteps of Reston or Potomac River Running. Each of these stores are owned and managed by runners, and offer discounts for HS athletes. Moreover, they will help fit you with a shoe that is appropriate for your feet.
- Keep track of all announcements/info by checking our team website (www.chargercctrack.com) regularly. We also use a Facebook group, titled "Chantilly HS Cross Country/Track & Field". We invite and encourage all athletes and parents to join our group, in order to stay informed.
- Please study your workout schedule carefully, and start training. Starting is always the hardest part. Select the appropriate group, contact your teammates, and start running. Captains practices will begin on Wednesday, June 25th. Over the summer, we will meet at 7:15 am on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Fridays. While conditioning is not mandatory, please understand that if you are in town, it is an expectation, as it will help to condition you as an athlete, and the team as a whole.
- Please DO NOT HESITATE to email me if you have ANY questions of any sort. Your summer training is key to your seasonal success, and it is my job, and my pleasure, to help you adjust as necessary, especially if you are new. My email address is MTGilchrst@aol.com. Please use it whenever necessary.
2014 Cross Country Forms List- Please check to see if you owe any forms still. If a certain column is colored, you have not turned in that form. If there is a notation, you are missing part of the form (ie: Insurance Info for the Physical; or the Luggage Search form for Camp). If it says $ Needed, that is self-explanatory (re: camp). Most of these forms are self-explanatory. The Athlete Info, & Parent Info, are online surveys, and can be accessed above.Please fill these out completely. If you believe that this is in error, bring it to my attention, but I would still prefer that you simply print out the form again, and re-sign it. I will admit to any error I make, but when it comes down to it, if your form is missing, it is missing. Please get them in ASAP.
Instructions on eTraxc.com (downloadable instructions)
2014 Cross Country Forms & Signup Information Packet- Please read carefully and heed all items (ie: completing Athlete and Parent Info Surveys below, signing up to www.eTraXC.com, and turning in all forms on time.
Cross Country Athlete Info - Please Fill out completely and accurately ASAP. You will be added to our database and added to www.eTraXC.com as well.
Cross Country Parent Info - Parents, please fill out completely and accurately, so that you we can keep you informed regularly.
2014 ATHLETE SPIRIT PACK ONLINE ORDER (Order Due by Thursday, 6/19)
2014 SPIRIT PACK FORM (Due back to Dr. G by Thursday, 6/13 or Monday 8/4) (This is confirmining if you did order your spirit pack, or if indeed you don't need anything, you chose not to order anything.
VHSL Athletic Physical & Eligibility Form (due prior to 8/2/14)-please complete & SIGN all 4 pages, AND include Insurance info (Required) ) (Form 2013)- Dated AFTER May 1, 2014
Emergency Care Card (due Thursday, 6/13 to Dr. G) (Please note: Only ONE copy is needed,not two).
Concussion Education Program (Students)- Due prior to conditioning.
Concussion Education Program (Parents)- As of July 1st, 2011 FCPS is requiring that each athlete and ONE parent must complete a short Concussion Education program online, good for one school year. Dr. G will be given a record from the Athletic Training Department upon completion. NOTE FOR PARENTS: If you have multiple students participating in athletics, please make sure to enter both/all of them, or else you will be required to do the program multiple times.
2014 CAMP INFO SHEET (return to Dr. G w/ $250 Check & Following two forms)
2014 Camp Itinerary & Roster- Includes Daily Itinerary, roster, list of things to bring & map/directions.
Blue Ridge Cross Country Camp- This is an additional camp, not run by CHS, but recommended particularly for the veteran runn. It is run from July 27th-August 1ST. Registration information can also be found at the camp website: www.blueridgerunningcamp.com.
Lost River Roster- NOTE: Camp is limited to 60 team members. Our roster may become filled up. Please note that in order to fill spots on the waiting list, such factors as attendance during August practices, July conditioning, performance in tryouts and during scrimmage may be considered.
"Mensh's CC Workouts"- Detailed description of the different type of CC Workouts- what they are and why we use them
Running isn't just a Hobby- by Brad Siragusa
As a Reminder: We will be meeting on Saturday, August 2nd@ 11 am in the CHS Cafteria. This is a very important meeting for ALL ATHLETES & THEIR PARENTS. You must get any absences excused by Dr. Gilchrist (essentially meaning that you are out of town).
If you are out of town and can't make the meeting, you are responsible for having all of the forms above submitted, and for printing off the following forms, and turning them in.
Pre-Season Meeting Agenda- Please review to see what you are missing.
Cross Country Team Bible (PDF)-(SIGN & RETURN LAST PAGE ONLY)The last page must be initialled and signed by parents and athletes in each section, referring to the attendance/cut policy, and other team rules.
FCPS Extra-Curricular Policy Form- (SIGN & RETURN LAST PAGE ONLY)These refer to the county rules regarding drug/alcohol use, as well as other guidelines governing athletic behavior. This will be reviewed each season.
BOOSTER CLUB MATERIALS (PDF File)- This is all optional, but parents are invited and encouraged to review, and possibly either join the Boosters, or perhaps partake in one of their sponsorship programs, which ultimately benefits both the Booster Club and the Cross Country Team.
Milestat Subscription Order- For those of you who wish to get the most in depth information on cross country/track & field in VA, Milestat.com is a wonderful resource for results, photos, videos, meet summaries, etc.
Pre-Season Practice/Meet Schedule- You are expected to set ALL of these dates aside, and make them a priority. All absences must be both approved and excused by Coach Gilchrist. Assume you are running unless otherwise told by Coach Gilchrist.
FCPS Drivers Forms- We will allow juniors and seniors to drive to certain local practices and meets, with parental consent, assuming their are licensed drivers. They may only drive themselves, or a sibling (w/parental consent). At no time may another student drive a teammate. (NOTE: This applies to meets/practices that we have a bus to anyways....not to a practice at Manassas Battlefield, Lees Corner, or Walney Pond). Driving to meets will be at the discretion of Coach G.